Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fathers Day Pressie's

Father's Day is nearing, and I wanted to find something personal that Riley could give to Josh. With our anniversary, Josh's birthday and Father's Day coming up, I really didn't know what we could buy for him!

 We need to all remember that the gifts that don't cost anything are often the best and most treasured!!


So after I did some google searching for ideas, I found this fantastic recipe for a dough you can use to make handprints. It's simple, and most would find all the ingredients in the cupboard already. 


Ingredients:

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
2 cups of water
food colouring (optional)

Ribbon or twine to hang (optional)


Method:

All you do is combine all ingredients, mixing to form a pliable dough (we did have to dust with a little more flour while kneading because the mix was slightly too sticky). Add food colouring if desired. Make print, and using a skewer create a hole in the top through the dough to hang later on. Bake at 180c for 2 hours or until firm.

The original recipe said to bake at 200c but it was far too hot and discoloured the dough. It also dried it out too much which caused cracks. The second print was on a lesser heat and turned out perfectly, no cracks or discolouration. I used blue food colouring, and the picture below doesn't do it justice.


The hardest part was getting Riley to put his hand on the dough and not try to squash it!! :) Riley had a great time making it, he had his own bowl and spoon and was pretending to mix when I was. If you had older kids it would be a great project for them to do themselves.




                                                           cute.cute.cute.cute.cute

Its not edible, but still :)

No comments:

Post a Comment